Monday, September 1, 2014

Talented by Sophie Davis

Cover:

Rating: 2.5 (and that's stretching it)

Plot: Block it out. Impossible for Talia Lyons. When you’re a Mind Manipulator, it’s hard enough to block the thoughts of others, let alone your own.

Block it out. The pounding, siren-ready world Talia inhabits as she trains with her fellow Hunters, the country's top-secret covert operatives. The physical demands. The emotional toll.

Block it out. The secrets that Talia’s boyfriend is hiding. Talia’s unbidden feelings of frustration and annoyance toward her teammate, the Casanova of the compound. The wondering why she cares what he thinks.

Block him out. Ian Crane. The man behind the bloodshed marring Talia’s memories of her murdered parents. The man she’s determined to kill.

Block it all out. Focus.

Talented is an emotionally raw Dystopian Romance, about the life of a girl with extraordinary psychic powers, and what happens when a heart is torn between love and rage.

(from Goodreads)

My Opinion: My hopes were high for this book. I started it and quickly became bored. I put it down several times and didn't pick it back up for days. In honesty, I can't pinpoint what went wrong for me. One thing that put a damper on things for me was how we would randomly switch scenes without any sort of notice. One second we are talking to someone, next we are in training. I swear I had whiplash. But a lot of authors make this mistake so I can overlook it but I can't overlook that it took me over two weeks to finish this book. A long time for us book lovers. Maybe I will go back and try again so I can finish the series but I can tell you I won't be doing it anytime soon. The relationships also killed me because of how unusual the characters are and I'm not talking about their 'Talents".

Characters: Talia is so so so so special. Really special. No one like her special, guys. Let me say it 10 more times. Talia is special. In case you didn't get it, Talia is special. That's all we hear about the whole book but we never actually have it explained. You see, they explain her powers which sound awesome but  they never go anywhere with it. Dead end street. Talia, who is so special (there's that word again) and amazing is so utterly not. She whines, makes terrible decisions, and is always in some sort of stupid situation. Her personality is nonexistent. This book was supposed to be about assassins not stupid boys or her hair or how she needs revenge but does nothing to get it. This is a romance novel lovelies not a cool kickass book about killing stuff. But don't get me wrong I wouldn't have minded (because I love me some romance and hot guys) except the romance was predictable and stupid. I just wanted Talia to shut up about how she wants to be normal. Well, honey, you are. So are so very normal and boring. Mission achieved.

Donovan: Hmph. Got what he deserved and then like an asshole got out of it. Oh and his part of the story is so predictable that I guessed within the first few chapters what was going on. That's all I'm going to say.

Erik: Blehhhhhh. That's all.

Ending: The ending really picked up for me, We started to see the plot come out from behind the romance and boy was it good. And then bad. Nothing happened. It was very anti-climatic to me, I was like finally its over!! The story could have been great and it did have some great moments. The idea was great and fun. The missions were interesting but everything else just clouded how good it was. The bad outweighed the good by a lot, And that breaks my heart. Maybe I'll try again in a few months and pick up the second book but until then we'll just have to settle for mediocre book that could've been an amazing book. 

~Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment